I keep an ever-evolving list of helpful resources for blended families, especially those in high-conflict custody situations. I only include here the ones I’ve read or used (and liked) myself.
Got a suggestion of anything new I should add? Let me know!
Online Resources for Stepparents
- The Disengaging Essay – If you’ve hit the end of your rope, try this.
- r/stepparents (start with the FAQ)
- Guided Meditations for Stepmoms
- Stepparent Magazine (UK-based)
- Find a Counselor – Find coaches and counselors who are certified by the Stepfamily Foundation, a non-profit established in 1975.
Books for Stepparents & Blended Families
These are stepmom-heavy, since that’s what I personally have read. Stepdads, if you have any suggestions of books that have helped you, please get in touch.
- The Enlightened Stepmother: Revolutionizing the Role – Realistic and no-nonsense.
- Stepmonster: A New Look at Why Real Stepmothers Think, Feel, and Act the Way We Do – Very well-researched, looks at the psychology of being a stepmom from a science-based perspective.
- Stepmotherhood: How to Survive Without Feeling Frustrated, Left Out, or Wicked – I like that this book also includes a chapter for husbands to help them get what their wives are going through.
Books for Bio Parents in a High-Conflict Divorce
- Custody Chaos, Personal Peace – A godsend. Crammed with strategies, examples, and tips for dealing with shared custody with a high-conflict co-parent.
Parental Alienation Resources
- Divorce Poison: How to Protect Your Family from Bad-mouthing and Brainwashing – The leading resource on parental alienation.
- Adult Children of Parental Alienation Syndrome: Breaking the Ties That Bind – Looks at the long-term effects of parental alienation, including healing the parent-child relationship later in life.